Friday, November 17, 2006

jungle fever


While the picture is overexposed and you'll have to take my word for it that we are not using forced child labor, here is a glimpse of progress on our two acre jungle paradise....our local friends cleared the underbrush and are tending the grass till we make it back and figure out how to stay. (I still can't believe it's ours. Oh, and that we own a lawnmower in Belize. A Belizean lawnmower of all things).

Can you see those itty bitty fence posts in the background? We now have a fence!

The second shot is the view facing the river, where one day I'll bathe M and wash our clothes. Alright, who am I kidding....we'll drag chairs to the edge and drink beers at sunset.


It's tough to really explain how wanderlust lives inside me. About how every day I dream of dusty backpacks and local buses. About food stalls and foreign beer. About discovery and challenge.

The only person I know who gets to make that sort of travel a reality on a regular basis is the lovely Lucia who travels the world exotic in the name of goodness.

Have you met her yet? If not, you should.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting Jen! I have an idea, yes, of your wanderlust and I am impressed that you have kept it at bay this long.

I don't see anyone digging a trench for fiber optic cable....maybe put that on the list? Will we have to keep in touch with you via good-old-fashioned mail???? I 'spose you could go to the local internet cafe.

Anonymous said...

Oh, geez! Beautiful place! And, yes, I totally understand where you are coming from. Have you checked out "soul gardening"? It is on my roll. Apparently, the writer has a connection to Belize also ~ and there are some stunning photos.

Lucia should write a book one day. Well, heck. She probably will. :)

Peace,


-chani

Anonymous said...

Looks divine. One of my fondest memories involves foreign beer, skinny dipping, and feeling so free! Keep on looking forward. Just don't leave without the ability to post notes to us all!

KC said...

Guests? You'll welcome guests, right?

I'm so with qt...the world still needs to hear from Jen. (okay, and I do too from a selfish perspective but for the good of the public, REALLY!)

But Belize looks luscious. Here's to quenching your wanderlust.

Anonymous said...

"we own a lawnmower in Belize" - that thought would drive me mad with excitement.

jen said...

we've got a year or two to go before we can even think about getting there...so no farewell party yet.

and are you kidding? guests? open door, sisters...open door.

Jo said...

Oh, it's beautiful, Jen. You must be beyond yourself with excitement!

flutter said...

oooh! you just inspired a yarn. What a fabulous place....

Anonymous said...

Nope..I totally get it.
My siren call is to the North...

My body feels that is should be living waaay further up the BC Coast and away from people.

It is like a string is attached to my sould and pulling me that way.

I don't think I will ever relax until I am in the right place.

Jenny said...

Dusty backpacks and wanderlust.

Take me with you.

crazymumma said...

What have I missed. Yours? When? How? This is so exciting for you, for all of us as you watch a dream start to take shape. Oh Jen...how wonderful, please tell me more!

scribbit said...

I hear if you leave it for a week everything's overgrown again.

meno said...

It's great to see the place that you will move. And drink beers and look at the water.
Sweet!

acumamakiki said...

Oh that's exciting! I am so not a nomad (except in my heart) but I love to read about others adventures.

Momish said...

Looks amazing! You must be busting to get there, for sure.

P.S. I don't know what is going on, but my bloglines is not informing me of new posts. I am in catch up mode here! Ugh. Missing too much. Technology! Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Here's to sunset beers on the water's edge. I will most certainly drink to that.

Bloglines has not informed me of your posts lately, either. Sorry that I'm late the party again!