the one with the psychic

I had a friend years ago who was big on telephone psychics. She had one or two she swore by and after hearing about the readings my curiosity was finally peaked into motion. After some persuasion she convinced me to call and set up an appointment.

I was straddling the fence between cynicism and plain old crock of shitishness. Since I was raised in a strict christian home (otherwise known as Religious Persecution Disorder - which should be in the DSM in my opinion) so I was also somewhat convinced in some deep and lurking in my mind that I'd be opening my soul to the devil.

But curiosity won out. Devil one, me, zero. Or more accurately, Devil 14,952, me, zero. So I paid my $60 bucks and made an arrangement to call Joy (what the hell kind of fake psychic name is that) and at the established date and time, gave her a call.

At first it was the blah blahs...you are successful in your job (yawn) and you are a strong willed person (boring) and then she went over into you will meet a man (ears perking up a bit) and went on to describe him. Brown hair, red gold flecks in his beard.

She mentioned a shift in passion and focus in my work, and to be honest, over the years, she's turned out to be right, but at the time, again, yawn, whatever, I dig my gig, Psychic Joy, so am blah blah blahing you some more.

But then she The Thing. She said that a little spirit was waiting to be born. That she (yes, SHE) had tried to come into my world once already and I wasn't ready and didn't allow for it. And that she'd try again when I still might not feel ready, but that she was going to be more powerful the next time around. And that she's waiting, and watching, and she knows exactly when she's going to manifest herself. And that when she did, she would be mine. That obviously, I'd be sharing her with her father, but that her destiny this time around was to be my child. And that we had great things to teach each other.

I shuddered and coughed and my 29 year old single self was clearly, um, thanks, oh, and No Way, Because I Am Never Having Babies. Thank You Very Much. And then I forgot all about it and went back to martinis, dating, repeat. It was a few years before I met J. Brown hair, red gold flecks in his beard.

Five years later I got pregnant when I was on the pill. I wasn't ready. I didn't even know if I wanted to be a mom. But when it happened, I vaguely remembered this conversation and I dug out the tape recording she'd sent me of our session and listened to it.

And then I knew. This Was The Thing.

And Psychic Joy was right, this girl is mine. She and her dad have a glorious relationship, but she and I, we are mother and daughter. She is the lining of my heart. And she chose me. I'll believe that whether it's a crock of shitishness or not, because I like it and Psychic Joy said so.

I've never spoken to another psychic. I have intuitive friends, I've explored tarot, ruins, and some other mediums - numerology is next, as a matter of fact, due to the kindness of a friend.
But I'll never call a psychic again.

Because if it's not broken....play it as it lays, girl. Play it as it lays.