touch of grey

J mentioned last week that he was considering cutting off his dreadlocks. I was taken rather aback, given how long they had grown and how much energy he'd put into maintaining them over the years. We talked briefly about it and then he let it go, so I was surprised when I walked in the door last night and he said he was ready to cut them all off.

Me: Whoa. Are you sure?
Him: I think so
Me: What are the pros?
Him: I want a fresh start. It's time. I am fasting as well, it's a whole new energy shift.
Me: Alright. What are the cons?
Him: I guess it just freaks me out. I've had them for so long.
Me: At least no one will offer you drugs any more. (He, whether on the road or in the city, gets offered drugs all the time. It's always framed with 'white rasta' and then a quiet push for dope.)
Him: That's true......Is that a pro or a con?
Me: I don't really know. Getting accosted by dealers has it's pros, they always have good directions and where the best food was. Maybe you should wait till our trip is over? It's like a gateway into a whole other thing, that hair. I got the best falafel in my life because that one dude showed us where to go.
Him: No. That sort of makes me want to do it now even more.

So after M goes to bed we put on some music and the cutting begins. The whole time I am worried that his hair is going to be a freaky disaster, full of uneven lengths and bald spots. But once I am done it's adorable - spiky and cute. It's like having a whole new man in the house.

He doesn't get hung up on much, but cutting off his locks was hard for him - I offered to take a magic marker to one of his t-shirts and write "Dude. I KNOW." on it so when everyone says the obvious "You cut your hair!" today he can point to the words.

I'd totally wear that shirt, but I don't think he'll go for it.