bearing witness

I see you. Fierce in your love, devastated by their suffering. Unbelievable joy in their accomplishments, no matter how small. The weight and measure you give every decision, not only for them, but for yourself because all you do affects them now. You carry that proudly; shoulders bending but never giving. I see you.

I see you. Mothers of one, two, three, and more. You who so desperately want a child, first time mothers, the sages who've been around the block a few times, the grandmothers. I see the care you put into your homes, your relationships, your life. Because all you do affects them now, you feel that and it matters. You would stop at nothing. I see you.

I see you, protective tigress, guffawing rainbow, clouds of rain. I see your journey and your sacrifice. I see your joyous faces thanking the gods for one more day, and for the end of each one passed. The miles on your cars, your feet, your souls. I see your old wardrobes and the million things you do without because there is something more important now, the lack of personal space, the creativity you once mustered. All of that makes you even more beautiful.

I see you. The moments when you are alone at 3am, a crying baby and little relief. The work you do even when you are sick, the occasional or often credit you don't receive by the simple fact that everyone's needs are met. The sacrifices you've made to your career, your adult life. How you know it and are fine because you've found your new calling and it's exactly how it should be, even when it's not.

I see you. Bending in immeasurable ways, picking up thousands of toys, singing in your kitchens, traveling the world. Teaching compassion, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, and justice. Planting flowers and drinking invisible tea. Kissing bare bellies and grasping them close. Watching them sleep and cuddling them awake. Holding hearts and souls when others have tried to crush them. You want everything for them and you do whatever is needed. You show up. Simply put, you never stop showing up.

To some of the most outstanding mothers in the world, I see you. I see you and I celebrate the majesty of you.

Happy Mothers' Day, you gorgeous, gorgeous human beings, you.