Monday, December 24, 2007

so this is christmas

As with most holidays this one has snuck up on me, shocking me with it's imminent arrival. By design I keep things mellow, no big travels, no huge festivities. It ensures I dance around the holiday without ever fully succumbing to it, an art form I've long appreciated over the years.

But M shakes things up with her joyous exuberance over lights and friends stopping by with packages. She squeals over cookies and snowmen in windows. It's infectious, this simple joy. We spent almost two hours in a line of cars last night waiting to drive through a park that's been outfitted with holiday cheer, a wait we hadn't realized until it was much too late. But buoyed by her enthusiasm (and fearing her wrath if we bailed out) we sat and inched forward in the dark singing makeshift carols and groaning periodically about the wait. We finally got inside the park and M was out of her seat and in our laps pointing and screaming while the rest of us smiled at each other in awe of her wonder. When we finally came home she sat down at her table and proclaimed with a grin Mommy, that was the greatest adventure of my life.

And all I could think as my eyes glazed over with tears was how every single day she's the greatest adventure of my life and how honored I am that I get to share it with her.

Happy Holidays, friends. I'll be thinking of you and feeling immensely blessed by the riches your words and friendship have offered me all year long and I'll be looking forward to seeing what trouble we can get into as we continue to move forward together kicking life in the ass and using all of our superpowers for good.

24 comments:

meno said...

Your child is a sure-fire cure for jadedness. Wish we all had that joy still.

The best to you.

xxoo

kristen said...

much love my friend. this year introduced me to you and for that, i'm lucky. xo

Andrew said...

I have always said Kids make Christmas how special it really it. There is nothing like the joy in the eyes of a youngster as they run into a room to open their presents. Merry Christmas, Jen, and a Happy Holidays to you and yours. This post was heartwarming.

FENICLE said...

Merry Christmas! I'm sure it will be magical.

The Expatriate Chef said...

Peace and blessings to you. Am thinking of you.

nomotherearth said...

They are the greatest gifts, aren'y they? Happy Holidays.

Hel said...

Your shared joy make me look forward to one day experiencing the same.

Z said...

One needs to see Christmas through a child's eyes to appreciate it again.

Happy Christmas to you and your family, darling Jen.

blooming desertpea said...

Merry Christmas Jen.
Merry Christmas daugher and husband of Jen. :)

Kyla said...

Merry Christmas, jen. Kiss that little adventure for me. ;)

Christine said...

do you know that you've shown me just what kind of super powers we all indeed have? thank you for that, my dear jen.

happy, happy day to you and yours.

xoxo
c--

Running on empty

painted maypole said...

beautiful, as always. kids do seem to take it all and distell it down to the good stuff. when MQ was 2 she would ask, everynight after dinner "lights? lights?" and walked around the neighborhood, oohing and aaahing. this year she and my husband delivered thank you notes to the homes that were spectacularly decorated.

i look forward to our new year together, using our superpowers for good. for you, my friend, are certainly a super hero.

Jennifer said...

Wishing you and M and your beautiful family everything merry and joyous.

nengaku said...

Merry Christmas Jen.
I kept waiting for you to say that, after all that waiting, the park turned out to be filled with nothing but advertisements. That's what happened to me last time I took my kids through one of those. A terrible disappointment. I'm SO GLAD that didn't happen to you and that M had the greatest adventure of her life! Woohoo!

liv said...

Oh, precious one, wishing you and your little family a wonderful holiday, and a magnificent year to come. Blessings to you. May the Universe open many doors for you in 2008.

flutter said...

and we are honored to share it with you. Merry Christmas to you, love.

Julie Pippert said...

Isn't it amazing what we'll do for these precious creatures to see that joy on their faces. :)

Happy holidays to you!

Julie
Using My Words

Momish said...

wishing you happy holidays and many many more adventures in 2008!

Amy Y said...

I love it!
Happy Holidays to you guys too, Mama.
Much looking forward to seeing what '08 has in store...

mitzh said...

Children are really the ones who makes Christmas magical.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, Jen and wishing the best this coming New Year.

Take care!

Hetha said...

just returning home from a long holiday trip, thinking of you and the phrase "those who give shall receive" comes to mind...M supplies an abundance of gifts that you so richly deserve.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

Happy Holidays!!! Thanks for the friendship.

Susanne said...

Happy Holidays to you and your family too.

luckyzmom said...

I keep wondering what happened to October. Surely the Grinch stole it.

Holidays are a hundred times better with the fresh wonder of children around to remind you of your joy.