Wednesday, December 05, 2007

uno momento en el sol

The Yucatan is by far the most touristed place we´ve visited on holiday. Something about the crowds sullies things, if vacation isolation can be any sort of prize. But crowds means infrastructure and it´s been an incredibly easy journey, no reservations anywhere and yet we´ve moved across the peninsula with the ease of wild dogs foraging for food and shelter each day with success.

We were visiting some magnificent ruins yesterday and after being commandeered by dozens of touts I finally said no compro nada in poor spanish and probably poorer manners and the man stopped and smiled and sat down next to me but i really want your money, see and as he spoke the truth the divide closed a bit and I said I know, and this entire thing really is unfair. But that´s life, he replied and for a few brief moments we sat together in the same patchy sun.

My mind is shifting back north, the knowledge of home just around the corner now. And that means I´ll get to see what you´ve all been up to while I´ve been away, too.

19 comments:

Kyla said...

We will be glad to see you friend.

Andrew said...

Missing you while you were gone. I just discovered your blog and was sucked in by your writing and you took a vacation! LOL It has left me hungrily wanting more. I was homeless for six months and your tales dealing with this issue give me the inspiration to write and share mine as well.

Blog Antagonist said...

You've been missed my dear, but I'm glad you're getting a break from life. Don't hurry back. ;?)

Janet said...

I'm guessing you went to Tulum. We went there when we were in the Yucatan a few years ago. Much smaller than Chichen Itza (sp?).

See you soon!

meno said...

mil sol besos to you.

Julie Pippert said...

Thanks for checking in...we'll be glad to see you when you get back, but I'm enjoying the thought of you on vacation. :)

Julie
Using My Words

Lawyer Mama said...

I've been missing you!

Jennifer said...

Oh, what an exchange! It's moments like that... I had one in Africa that sticks out in my mind, so similar. It makes the world seem very small, and I love it.

I was happy to see you'd checked in -- I've missed your perspective.

crazymumma said...

ha ha. He was brilliant.

embrace the coming home.

Amy Y said...

You've been gone a long time!! Hope your journey home is safe and relatively uneventful... "see you" soon :)

flutter said...

life is unfair, but beautiful

Susanne said...

It's nice to hear from you. I'm glad you have a smooth trip. I hope it continues this way. See you.

blooming desertpea said...

We all enjoy the same sun and will all end up in ashes - isn't that comforting?

Sober Briquette said...

It will be great to have you back.

mamatulip said...

I miss you!

Aliki2006 said...

I'm glad you checked in! And I'm glad you're enjoying yourselves...miss you and safe travels!

bgirl said...

your spirit must be lighter now
so glad you got away, so glad you're coming home.

Jocelyn said...

That small moment of exchange with that man...that's the kind of stuff that sticks with you forever. A moment of real in the midst of pretend.

Jenn said...

You do know.

That's what makes you so amazing.