Monday, June 23, 2008

sometimes it strikes me

It's not remarkable, except that it is. The places I visit, where I get to read about you trying to get pregnant or having a baby, or your second, or perhaps even as a surrogate. Then I go and hear about others celebrating birthdays or being challenged by toddlerhood or missing their own parents. I find those who are travelling, or starting a new job, or speaking out, or campaigning for something they care deeply about. And then there are those of you who are dating, finding new love, discovering new frontiers and then others who are finding the end of the love they once knew.

I have the honor and the privilege of hearing your thoughts, the things you might not say to your neighbor or even your friends. The things that seem insignificant, the moments in time that would never make it to the water cooler and yet are shared here.

And if I didn't have this place then the smallest moments, the ones that sear my heart would go unrecorded. I'd tell no one that M was having a hard time sleeping last night and that J and I kept checking in on her. That I found him in her room at one point sitting on the floor watching her fitful sleep and I sat next to him and in the soft glow of her nightlight we gazed at each other and at her and we smiled the softest smile, sitting with her sleeping beauty and once again taking stock of how lucky we are and how we cannot believe even after all this time that we've created her from us. If I didn't have you I'd never share this, instead I'd keep it to myself and while no less significant it might go unremembered at some point as so many other colors light up the view. But I do and so I do and here it is, for giving and taking and one day it will be for her too.

And that's not remarkable either, except that it is. Thank you for gathering around my fire and allowing me to sit quietly by yours. It's been over two years now and while it's just what we do it's also so much more.

Bookmark and Share

40 comments:

Ms. H said...

I'm speechless. What an incredibly stunning way to describe this phenomenon known as blogging. Thanks for putting that into words for me. Beautiful.

hypoglycemiagirl said...

it's amazing isn't it?

QT said...

When you look back on the history being recorded, it is "something" - beautiful, tearful, life.

kristen said...

that's the best part of the actual business of blogging for me, the recording of the little things that happen in A's life, that i definitely would forget.

and the you part of blogging sister, that's just the bonus.

just a few more weeks. xoxo

ewe are here said...

It really is an amazing world... and you describe it perfectly.

Kelly said...

An apt way to describe blogging. Whenever I sit by a bonfire, I simply cannot look away. Mesmerizing.

That's what you are, too. Thanks for sharing with us, so beautifully.

Mrs. Chicken said...

I feel exactly the same. It is a bit like a hearth, isn't it, around which we gather?

Thank YOU for being here, too.

xoxox

Omaha Mama said...

I feel that way too and am grateful for it all. Thanks for sharing.

Kyla said...

Beautiful. It is quite amazing, the things we share and the way we share them.

wheelsonthebus said...

You said it perfectly. (And the sleep issues around this age are really normal, btw.)

Mayberry said...

I'd like to laminate this for everyone who doesn't "get" blogging, or who thinks it exploits our children. This is a celebration, a shared and loving one.

Mad said...

And sometimes I think we feel it more profoundly because we have allowed ourselves to say it out loud to someone else.

Bon said...

what Mad said...the bearing witness to these mundane things allows me, i think, to have them become more real and special in my own mind.

audience is priceless. an audience this kind and supportive is something i could never have imagined.

bgirl said...

head nodding in agreement. we are so fortunate to have this circle where we can see no beginning or end, but know it is there, wrapped around us.

Ruth Dynamite said...

This is by far the best description of blogging I've ever heard.

Not surprised it came from you.

hele said...

Reading this makes me know.

Amy Y said...

It is remarkable ~ you put it so eloquently...

I did not expect to end up here when I started blogging... getting these glimpses of other lives. But I love it and I'm so grateful for it.

meno said...

Nice to have met you too. Two whole years? Imagine that.

KC said...

I wish the in-person fires would happen more often though. miss you.

Deb said...

I like coming here, to be inspired by you and to learn. Thank you.

ms chica said...

Beauty is in simplicity, thank you for sharing.

kgirl said...

happy to be part of your ride, sistafriend.

Yolanda said...

Totally perfect. The perfectest way.

I don't think I've commented before.

Perfect words.

crazymumma said...

I just got this nice feeling image of her, M, being the fire you and J gather around. An amazing power our children wield without knowing their weapon is love.

Your fire is warm and soft. And it crackles real loud and shoots up sparks. I like that.

flutter said...

Thank YOU babe

mamatulip said...

Aw, Jen. Thank you. :)

Ally said...

Oh, sweet Jen. You've described this community so perfectly, and once again, you've spoken such truth here.

cce said...

I wrote a really poignant and apt response and then when I clicked "publish" it disappeared. So suffice it to say, No, thank YOU for the fire side chat and sharing your family, work and dreams with all of us.

Binky said...

"If I didn't have you I'd never share this, instead I'd keep it to myself and while no less significant it might go unremembered at some point as so many other colors light up the view."

That about sums it up. Right back at ya.

painted maypole said...

really beautiful, all of it.

i love sitting by the fire with you

Z said...

And I suspect that none of us expected this, when we began blogging. You're completely right, and it's something that people who don't blog (and think we're a bit odd) have no idea about, because you can only find it out, gradually, by doing it.

jennifer said...

a perfect description

Janet said...

Thank you for lighting the fire, in such a warm and inviting way.

carrie said...

And all I have to say about that, is 'yup.'

:)

Magpie said...

so sweet and lovely.

TEOM said...

I really enjoy the light from your fire...

slackermommy said...

I second that. I think about this when someone gives me a hard time about spending time blogging about significant insignificants. This whole blogging gig does my heart good.

Expatriate Chef said...

Yes, me too. I watch my daughter and it crushes me how amazing she is, that somehow we created her is too simple to be possible. And yet, here she is. Thanks, I feel that very thing you just said so well.

Trenches of Mommyhood said...

Amen.

Christine said...

love you lady