Monday, July 21, 2008

naked blogging

If I had to sum it up I'd say we are all the same. We all have our bouts of insecurity, we all overreact, we all squeal with joy and hug strong and hard. We feel overwhelmed, we feel shy, we feel powerful and we feel courageous. BlogHer this year was all of that but in the end what has meant the most for me for two years running was seeing old friends and meeting others whose words I've read all year long. It's an extended slumber party, we stay up too late and lose our voices and popcorn gets spilled and somebody inevitably gets locked in the bathroom. Some of us even drink too much, those mojitos are stronger somehow in groups.

But the best and perhaps most sacred time this year was when Jess, Tanis and I left the conference and went to a naked bath house. We waltzed into the old Victorian and for some reason hadn't really thought through that in a few short minutes we'd actually be sitting naked in front of each other in a big tub in the middle of the day. In fact, the moment that will last with me for the rest of my life was when the woman made it clear: all your clothes come off HERE ladies and Tanis' face registered a look of fucking horror. I think I fell over laughing then but I can't quite remember. But as we sat across from each other naked inside and out in the bright light and too hot water it summed it up perfectly: At the end of the day we are all simply naked. We are women and we were naked this weekend, both in and out of our clothes. It's not always pretty and sometimes it's more beautiful than you can imagine but either way it's real. And so while the weekend was one of mixed emotions sitting here now I am so very happy I went. Meeting women I've only read and emailed with and reconnecting with women who've come to mean so much more than I'd have thought possible two years ago is part of the garden I'll plant around me this year, your words and laughter and wisdom and truth will continue to keep me company as it grows.


Bookmark and Share


35 comments:

hypoglycemiagirl said...

What a great thing to do. Being Scandinavian, I don't really mind nudity too much, but I realize it's a relatively huge deal in other parts of the world. Glad you enjoyed it!

Kyla said...

It is always, always good to see you.

wheelsonthebus said...

WHat's the point in blogging if we don't take it all off sometimes?

mamatulip said...

That is totally awesome.

furiousBall said...

Being from New Jersey, I don't mind nudity much either. That actually might have more to do with me being a dude...hmm

metro mama said...

I missed you this weekend.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

You ladies are awesome!

kristen said...

you have said it so eloquently.

it was great to see you.

love. xoxo

Anjali said...

Sounds lovely, and liberating!

Susanne said...

That post made me smile in a big way again. Coming from Germany I don't mind nudity that much either. But it's always a bit awkward in the beginning.

carrie said...

You know, if I were in the company of you guys - I just might have the courage to be naked too.

Glad it was a good weekend for all, I am desperately trying to get caught up after my own vacation . . . this is gonna take all day! :)

Amy Y said...

It sounds perfect!

Magpie said...

Wow - a bath house! Huh.

I was so happy to meet you - though it was overwhelming. You! Oh man.

flutter said...

love you jen.

Redneck Mommy said...

I'm still smiling.

Cuz I saw yer boobies.

Heh.

Life doesn't get any better than that.

Momish said...

I am sorry I missed everyone, especially you my dear. I would have loved to have heard your beautiful words spoken out loud. Maybe next year...

Although, being so shy and all, I would have to hang out in the public arenas for sure!

QT said...

Amen sister. Time spent with you is always too short.

Hetha said...

What a perfectly clear analogy for those of us who don't go and can't quite get our heads around what it means to be there. I envy all who had the chance to sit with you, naked or not.

Christine said...

i woulda got in that tub with you sister.

glad it was a good time.

xoxo

meno said...

I love those experiences. I'm glad you got to have one.

Mad said...

Ahem. Look here, Missy. It's bad enough that I didn't get to go and that, at this rate, I'll likely NEVER get to meet you but this? This is below the belt--making me imagine 3 hot naked chicks half a world away. Sigh.

motherbumper said...

Can I just say that the thing that jumped out at me in this post was the line about being unaware and surprized that you'd be soon "sitting naked in front of each other in a big tub in the middle of the day" - because it would totally be normal in the evening right? Because that's always the way when those two are involved - I swears. So wonderful to see you this weekend.

Lawyer Mama said...

It was good to see you, babe.

lildb said...

i'm gonna miss you when you're gone. even tho i don't live near you now.

maybe i canz vizit?

Amanda said...

Oh to have finally met you, how sweet it was.

Janet said...

You summed it up perfectly.

So wonderful to finally meet you and see you speak on your panel! You're even better in person.

Ron Davison said...

Did anyone video and post this to YouTube? (No! Not the naked bath house. The panels and speakers from the conference.)

kgirl said...

Wish I had run away to get nekkid with you gals.

BlackenedBoy said...

I know what you mean. The more I blog, the more I find myself longing to meet the people I've spent so much time talking to and have learned so much about online.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to.

Kellan said...

Hi Jen! I so enjoyed meeting you and wanted to say that you were at the top of my list. You were very different than I expected - so tiny and darling and beautiful and what a BIG hug - thanks for that.

See you soon - take care - Kellan

TLC said...

That was a great naked post. I mean, sure, the actual naked part, with the skin, but also the comparison to Blogher.

Nicely done.

T@Send Chocolate

moosh in indy. said...

As Tanis told me about this I so wished I could have come. It sounded delicious, minus the uh, "other" company.

Y said...

Meeting you, getting to tell you how I feel about your writing, was most definitely one of the highlights of my weekend.

xo

cynematic said...

Jen,
Clearly you had Best. Blogher. Ever.

:)

How did I miss meeting you? Or seeing your panel on positive posting? It was all a bit overwhelming for this first-timer. My head was spinning most of the time.

I'm still digesting it all.

Gypsy Alex said...

yes! the blogher love is so contagious... and it lingers!