Friday, July 04, 2008

sky rockets in flight

J and I had a rare day off together alone yesterday. We had some appointments in the morning and then again in the afternoon, some relating to our upcoming move, necessary things we need to figure out before hitting the road. In between we had a few hours alone, early afternoon delight. It's amazing how much more human, how much more prepared for ongoing mothering one is if she is afforded small bits of time for herself.

M is growing, leaps and bounds. The princess phase seems to be abating a bit, thanks to all things holy and good. I'm watching her perceive the world with more expansion, both good and bad, she's starting to take note of cruelty and injustice and also mystery and magic. Roots and wings. We can't shield her from all the confusing stuff but we can do our best to offer her roots and wings.

The Just Post mailbox is still open for business. Send me your links by Monday if you please. girlplustwo(at)yahoo(dot)com.



Bookmark and Share


8 comments:

thailandchani said...

Finally got in! (Page load stuff)

I've always liked the concept of "roots and wings". After your move, you'll really be able to give her that. :)

kristen said...

i love those moments alone, when you are just two. it's always a reminder of why we're good together in the first place, besides all the good that is three.

flutter said...

If I didn't have some alone time with mah boy I would be seriously cranky.

Kyla said...

Niiiice. I snickered when I read your title.

I can't remember the last time it was just Josh and I, free time to just be the two of us.

Ally said...

I joked to Tobin last week that we'd have sex a lot more often if he were around in the early afternoon instead of waiting until the evening when we're both tuckered out. TMI, perhaps, but there it is.

Yes, roots and wings. I find it so bittersweet, our children learning about injustice and cruelty. I want the world to remain only magical and beautiful for them, always. But of course I recognize that it is not, and to pretend it to be so would be wrong. Still, there is a loss of innocence there that's hard to put into words, at the same time as a pride that they understand that same injustice and will someday fight against it.

Ah, motherhood. It's all so complicated, isn't it?

bgirl said...

roots and wings...
loved this post j.

Arwen said...

Speaking of your move: my husband's grandmother wants to bring us on a cruise, our choice (I sicked up a little and then thought about taking a shot of strong liquor). I immediately thought of Belize! How close will you be to Belize City in December? There is a lovely level of irony to think I go on a cruise (which is a super corporate holiday to me) to see a super un-corporate person...

Hetha said...

jen, i'm getting caught up here (moving has curbed my reading time) and noticed the name of this post immediately. Then the date. We moved on this date and sang and hummed that song the whole day long. Strange, and cool.