if i could save time in a bottle

She's four now, she likes to tell me. Stop growing, I say. No! she says. Her laughter bellows out in front of her. I can't do that mama, I'm growing bigger and bigger. But I can't hold you the same and my arms don't know what to do, I say but I'm smiling. I tell her I love her so much, this child, my heart. I love you too, she says. But I'm still getting bigger! She pats me on the head and runs from the room.

Later though, in the quiet of bathtime and gentle splashing I hear her, Daddy, she says, Mommy doesn't want me to grow. Oh baby, she does. She just misses your babyness too. I know, Daddy. I'm going to stay with her forever. And I lean against the wall in our tiny hall, my head resting against cool plaster. Do that, I think. Let's just do that.

In other news, she and I managed to co-review a cool new game this week, come by and see for yourself.


Bookmark and Share