Monday, September 22, 2008

two steps forward

Tonight J will board a plane and fly solo to the jungle. He goes on a fact finding mission and to take care of some business, namely getting the keys to our little house and paying some pesky property taxes for that little bit of land. We've rented a little place in the jungle with the expectation that we'd be moving by now but circumstances abound and we are stuck for another month or two. Nonetheless we've made a commitment on the other end so instead of sitting idle we decided J can go for a bit and start laying the groundwork for our lives once we are there.

So the jungle beckons and with one foot here and one foot there I will drive my man to the airport and watch him load bags of our belongings onto the conveyor belt and double check that he has my very long list in his pocket: where do we get water / where is the nearest doctor / what about malaria / what are our options for schooling / will we need a coffee grinder (you think I'm kidding on that one but I'm totally not) / what size sheets will we need for the beds / is there a fridge / can you install a clothesline / where do we get mail / how will we get into town / where can we get solar panels / and how about vegetable seeds /and don't forget those funky chickens /and hey are there screens on the windows and I will send him off with longing and excitement because he gets to go and roll around in all of it while we stay behind. And the other truth is that I'm not quite ready, practicalities aside I need him to figure out some of the more important answers to our questions prior to arriving with my child as well as certain items we should make sure to bring on our one way flight.

Some of the village women have placed special orders so I've tucked jumpers and lip gloss and vitamins amidst our belongings knowing he'll deliver them soon and over a cold beer will undoubtably show off new pictures of M and exchange warm hugs and if I can't be there in person I can feel it in spirit all the while knowing our journey is close now, close enough to taste and after he comes home we'll have left a bigger part of ourselves there, the velvet cord reaching high through the mountains and over the ocean and tightening ever so sweetly around us as it beckons us there.


Bookmark and Share

30 comments:

hele said...

Oh my sister. Those warm hugs and cold beers are calling me.

(In)Sanity Gal said...

wow - so close to such an amazing journey. my thoughts will be with your family.

bgirl said...

goosebumps. this is happening!!!

safe travels j. oh and i'm totally keeping your list of questions and using them as a starting point for my own questions as we continue to plan our escape as well.

xoxox
b

thailandchani said...

I hope you will take plenty of writing materials. It wouldn't surprise me to see you write a book about your discoveries there.


~*

Sober Briquette said...

oh, holy wow! too bad he's going alone, but yes, all that information coming back to you and then before you know it....

I'd want the beer just so I could stop my hands from fiddling.

painted maypole said...

oh, oh oh! it's so close I can almost feel it! how exciting!

kristen said...

soon babe, very soon. xo

Amy Y said...

Oh it's so close! Selfishly, I'm glad to see you sticking around just a bit longer. I'll be sad to see you go... I know you'll be around but not like we're used to!

flutter said...

I am SO excited for you!!!

Lara said...

I'm having a hard time believing this change is coming so soon! But the most beautiful part is reading about you and J and M - and hearing the devotion and love in your "voice". I'm ecstatic for you but also a bit envious that you know this is your destiny. That even without having answers to some questions, you are certain that J and M are your destiny. That is really beautiful to observe.

wheelsonthebus said...

You are doing it. You are actually doing it!!

marymurtz said...

This is so exciting and yet, I wonder how it is that not even having ever met you, I feel a little homesick about you leaving the country and living in the jungle, as though I will miss you. I know you will have the blog, still. It's strange to think of having to re-adjust your life. And thrilling. I cannot wait for the next installment in this adventure. I admire you tremendously for this, and envy you too.

Jennifer said...

Oh, so exciting! So nerve-wracking and so uncertain and are-you-really-going-to-take-this-leap-why-yes-you-are exciting. Wow.

Do you know what? I will be there in March, to continue the work I did last year. If there is any way, I'll be sharing a cold beer with you in that warm jungle. By then, you'll know what is what and it will all be HOME to you.

QT said...

Dude. DUDE! So close....:)

Christine said...

pictures! we need to see pictures of your new home!

Janet said...

I have goosebumps for you! And it's not just the mention of cold beer.

Perhaps I could ship you our two backyard chickens. It's getting cold here and their hen house ain't insulted (dun dun dun). They don't speak the specific language where you are going but they are fluent in producing kick-ass brown eggs, warm in my hands each morning.

Little Monkies said...

I have the urge to cling to your leg like a 2 year old and cry "DON'T GO! DON'T GO!".

And, I've never even seen your face!

Crazy how we find kindred folk in this world.

I am happy for you, if you miss the cold you have a soft spot in Michigan. :)

Deezee said...

Call me the practical one here, but I hope you share all the answers to those questions because I'm mighty curious!

mitzh said...

So happy for you, Jen!

Susanne said...

I'm curious about the answers to these questions too, but I guess you'll tell us anyway at some point.

See, I already wondered when you would go, and now I know a bit more.

patches said...

If you need a coffee grinder, you can depend on me to ship you a manual one. This need I completely understand.

This is so close! I can almost touch it!

mamatulip said...

The hair on my arms is standing on end with anticipation for you. And J.

PunditMom said...

Wow! I can't believe you're really going someday!

Ally said...

Wow, Jen, this is so exciting, as it becomes so real and not as distant. I am so looking forward to hearing about your adventures, and learning about your new life there. xoxo

kgirl said...

So excited for you, and fwiw, I think the coffee grinder issue is extremely important; up there with malaria for sure.

KC said...

so very exciting- I can't believe how close it's getting. Yes, those answers are important to know - and how sweet about the presents for the village women. It already feels like a home for you, doesn't it?

Maggie, Dammit said...

ohmygosh it's getting close. I cannot WAIT to read about this adventure, to live vicariously through you.

Kyla said...

Wow. It is so real now. I can't imagine! This evacuation thing was probably as close as I'll ever come to jungle living and it was definitely not for me. LOL. I love that it IS for you, though.

crazymumma said...

shit. I feel all weepy. with excitement and hope and adventure for you.

Hetha said...

This is perfect, J going ahead and setting up camp. I am so excited for you guys!