Wednesday, December 24, 2008

it's coming on christmas

Each year I try to deny the effects of the holidays, holding tightly to my belief that we should be grateful and kind all year long and not just one week a year. And every year something happens that cracks that veneer wide open. I can't help it, for a while I can withstand all the toys and the carloads of clothes and the homemade cookies but as we get closer and even if it's only during the holidays, the extra energy folks put into helping others moves me every single year.

This year is no different, as we welcome many new faces through our doors they often come bearing gifts, ones they've made for people they do not know. This year it was the kids who finally got to me, the ones who came with little bags of toiletries, toothbrushes, soap and shampoo for all. The kids had written notes on each bag and I wanted to share two of them with you.

Dear Person, I hope you can get a job and get wealthy (rich!!). I felt bad when I saw someone that was homeless at the airport. I hope that you won't be. From, C. This kid is cool - focusing on long term goals (rich!!) and being empathic at the same time. Good job, kid.

This one was more to the point yet ever hopeful. This kid is a dreamer and we all need more of those in our lives: Dear Person, I hope this bag will solve all your problems. From, A.

Short and sweet but perfect. And for what it's worth, me too, kid. Me too.

And to all of you, the moms and the dads and the daughters and the sons, I hope you weave your own magic this week and I hope you know I am thankful for you all year long.


Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Z said...

Happy Christmas, Jen and very best wishes for your new life in 2009.

You mean a lot to me, dear girl, and I love you. xx

slouching mom said...

Merry Christmas, Jen and family. xoxo

Amy Y said...

I'm all caught up in it, too, like it or not.
Happy holidays :)

Omaha Mama said...

Those are great!
The other night we said an extra prayer for dinner for people out in the cold (it had hit dangerously low temps) and my B said, when we were done, "I can't wait until I'm older and have my own house. No one will have to be out in the cold then."
I'm not sure what she meant, but I sure hope she's right, that it was somehow foreshadowing for something wonderful she will figure out when she's older.
Here's hoping!

Merry Christmas.

painted maypole said...

so sweet.

today at the Xmas Eve service we talked about it being Xmas 365 days a year... about keeping that genrosity and love going.... imagine what we could do if we kept it up every day!

Karen said...

I feel that we should focus on being kind to each other, loving one another, 'giving' of ourselves instead of all the material gift exchanging that Christmas has evolved into. Give me a smile each day, a kind word for your fellow man, a hug when I need it. That is what I want.

meno said...

Merry Christmas!

Think how different this Christmas will be from next years!

Kyla said...

Merry Christmas, my dear friend. And a happy new year.

Maggie, Dammit said...

I am always grateful for your words (rich!!!!)

Merry Christmas. xoxoxo

crazymumma said...

Hey Jen. The key to the future huh those kids?

xo. anne