Wednesday, February 04, 2009

teeter totter

This morning M and I waved from my parents driveway as J drove off with nearly all of our earthly belongings tucked into the back of our car.  He's heading east to meet my brother then south, south, south, passing borders and customs and hopefully please for the grace of all things holy he will safely and with wallet intact glide through each border and enjoy cold cervezas in between. In two weeks we will follow, the road narrows slightly and three becomes two waiting again to become three.

We found ourselves up late last night packing and repacking, shaking our heads at the things we think we need.  At the top of my list of dumb things is this stool a friend gave us that has a pocket on it with a little cooler.  Apparently you can stick some beers in there and have yourself a seat.  Second on the dumb list is a pancake griddle.  I've noticed with this journey that people want to give us things, whether they think we need them or this is how they show their love I am not sure but the griddle was pressed upon us last night and we were too dumbfounded to decline.  J's list is different, he grimaced at the large pottery bowl and when I crammed in a pound of coffee he smirked at me, a smirk I bet he'll forget when he's drinking his first jungle cup.  Some things simply couldn't make the cut so we actually left the wine.  We left the wine and took the stool. This whole thing is making us batshit. At least we know what to ask for when our first visitor comes next month.  

I can't believe it's here, this thing.  As he drove off I once again thought what the hell are we thinking but underneath or maybe on top it's tinged with the excitement of it all, we are either the dumbest people I know or the bravest but either way, game on.  Unemployed and on the road, the wind in our back and a stool with a cooler to sit on. Watch out jungle, here we come.

PS. Ok, enough of the tough girl talk.  Somebody hold me. 

Bookmark and Share

38 comments:

Amy said...

I am excited and nervous for you and I wish J safe travels and you and M peace and enjoyment in your last two weeks before you leave.

Rachael said...

This is so exciting!

liv said...

I hope it was a big car, woman. A big, big car. ((hugs))

Lara said...

BIG hugs coming from Chicago. I mean BIG! It's going to be fabulous. I'm so envious...

Backpacking Dad said...

You'll be fine. I hear Bali is lovely this time of year.

Redneck Mommy said...

You are the fiercest, bravest woman I have ever met and I am so glad to call you my friend.

I'm sending Bug along with J, to keep a watch over him. I figure the kid needed to travel more and he listens to his momma that way.

Wink.

Breathe.

Just breathe.

All is as it should be, all will work out.

And I'm here cheering you on in the mean time.

I love you.

Amber said...

Best wishes to J for a smooth journey. And maybe you should drink the wine that you can't take with you. A little liquid courage, if you will. ;-)

I'm thinking of you guys!

painted maypole said...

you are wrapped in cyber hugs... your support net here is WAY bigger than that stool/cooler.

alejna said...

Oh, jen. Wow. It's so exciting and nerve-racking. I hope J and your brother have a safe journey, and that your pancake griddle arrives intact.

I'm here for you to hold your hand. (Except that my here and your here are pretty far apart. But I'm thinking of you and sending you supportive thoughts. Which take up next to no space in your luggage.)

mamatulip said...

Oh, Jen.

BABE.

I would have chosen the stool over the wine. Just sayin'.

Magpie said...

Brave and awesome! Bon voyage!

Christine said...

here's a hug {{hug}}

you are really, really doing this. damn, girl, i am so thrilled for you!

Minnie said...

De-lurking to say that I'm addicted to your tale.

I read in awe and with trepidation and wish that I had the courage...

Gwen said...

Most bravery requires at least a little stupidity--whether willful or otherwise.

You're going to be great. You are. I promise.

I'm so excited for you!!!!!

(and I'm putting a good bottle of wine in your care package.)

Amy Y said...

You're doing it! And you'll be fine ~ all of you.

But I just have to say... how could you leave the wine and take the stool? I'm sure it's a great stool... but what if they don't have wine in the jungle?!

QT said...

This is SO exciting tho!

Janet said...

I would take the coffee over the wine too. Once you're settled, I'll send you some wine.

In the meantime, come and sit by me. I will tell you some stories. You want me to paint your toenails? Can I get you a cold beer?

meno said...

And so it begins...

You can buy more wine, but that stool, maybe not.

Amy M said...

Something Elenore Roosevelt said has been my mantra as I went back to school at 38. "Do something every day that scares you" It has never failed me. So, do something that scares you. It may be wonderful.

wheelsonthebus said...

so, you don't want a giant stuffed flamingo?

Sierra said...

1) Of course I'm fabulous!
2) That doesn't necessarily speak for everyone else :)
3) The restaurant isn't even OPEN yet, but opening day (Friday) is sure to be a disaster...
4) I'd be your friend and hold you in real life - I'm sure you're scared out of your mind, along with being excited!

KC said...

I'm hugging you and jumping up and down with you. It will be an awakening of your spirit. M will love it. It will be amazing.

And your stool will come in handy. Mark my words.

xoxoxo

Blog Antagonist said...

You know, I say I'm not into stuff, but could I part with what I have as easily as you? No. No way. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are one of the bravest people I know.

Oh, The Joys said...

Say the word and I will personally come hold you. Any time.

Ally said...

I'm voting for bravest and not dumbest. Safe travels, friends!

ms chica said...

Sorting possessions is such a task. I would never leave wine behind....but I am biased when it comes to such things...of course I wouldn't leave my niece's drawings behind or my grandmother's letters.

Peace ho, sister

crazymumma said...

holding.

and you KNOW how bitch ass strong I am right?

joker the lurcher said...

hugs from 2 hairy lurchers and their peeps ((((()))))

flutter said...

I love you and I am so proud of you.

Bad. Ass.

Omaha Mama said...

What I'm thinking is that well, at least the wine is there with you now. And you've got two weeks of nights after your sweetie is tucked in bed to think and drink. You'll get it all straightened out. The bravery doesn't come all at once, but in phases. You set a goal, you're reaching it now. It may be terrifying, but you've done it. So there's something to be said for that.

marymurtz said...

Oh my God, a pancake griddle?
LOL!!!

deezee said...

dumb or brave, it's just awesome. good stories never come from the safe path traveled, eh?

carrie said...

Wine? You need wine?

I'll bring you some.

Beck said...

YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO HAVE SUCH AN ADVENTURE!
Best wishes and I can't wait to hear about it.

Arwen said...

hug hug hug (glass of wine)
hug hug hug

bgirl said...

here's to sharing a glass of vino in the jungle with you.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

the bow-lines are thrown and you are off to the unknown. It's scary it's wonderful and it's all going to be okay.

Emily said...

Aaaah!

This is all so exciting!