Friday, February 20, 2009

welcome to the jungle

So then. We are here.

After a relatively painless 9 hour journey we arrived, M leaping into J's arms on the other side of customs. We reunite amidst M's chatter, the heat, oh the heat slapped me in the face. We drive a couple hours to our village, it's dark before we arrive.

I forgot how rustic this house is. I forgot and I remember. I breathe deep. I open a beer. I check everything for bugs before I stick my hands inside and I am tired.

We fall into sweaty sleep and in the morning I wake up to sounds of geckos and roosters. Parrots. It's alive.

We to to the "grocery store", a cinder block building with some makeshift aisles. I don't understand some of the food and what I do understand is frustrating. Cocoa puffs? We buy a pineapple and they cut it up for me, I buy 14 corn tortillas for .50 on the side of the road, they are still warm and I want to tuck them under my pillow. I inhale them like I do my child's hair.

Our friends invited us for dinner last night and we eat fresh fish under the stars. She runs a guest lodge and there were guests at dinner too, so many questions were asked and I felt a bit confused, I don't know how I feel yet because I've only just arrived and it's hard to explain to over-eager strangers from Ohio and Georgia, no matter how lovely they are. I breathe.

M has made three friends already, she's in heaven and she's unsettled, she can't quite decide if she likes it or not. Another friend invited us today for lunch, beans and rice and stew meat, we sit on her porch and chickens and roosters are at my feet. There are animals everywhere.

We are purposeful and aimless. We are skittish and at peace. I have an aversion to the bugs but at the same time I can't help but think I'll grow more accustomed to it. Things move slower here, it feels renegade and spiritual and sweaty and still and raucous and inviting and dark. There are children everywhere and everywhere they smile.

I am in an internet cafe, having a connection at home will take a few weeks. As I read all your comments I started to cry a little, hearing from you meant so much. I won't have the luxury of accessing my reader for awhile because this place charges by the minute. I am anxious and also know it will take awhile longer, things just move more slowly here.

I think I've needed to slow down for a long time.

I am here. We are here. We are in this place and slowly now, the adventure unfolds.

Bookmark and Share

50 comments:

Andrea said...

Congratulations, jen. I can't wait to hear all of your new adventures.

Gina said...

I'm glad you arrived safely. You write so beautifully, I can almost see it.

Janet said...

You made it!

And you will make it there.

Redneck Mommy said...

I miss you so much my heart could just explode.

Knowing you are in your jungle paradise while I sit on my couch staring out the window at the tree sticks and snow makes me melancholy.

I'll go and snuggle Jumby and think of the roosters and parrots and bugs landing on your arm to be swatted away while reminding myself it won't be so very long before you are feeding me fish under the starry sky.

Be well my friend and breathe it all in. Enjoy the peace.

Glennia said...

So glad to hear you arrived safely. What a wonderful adventure you're setting out on. When can we come visit?

xoxo to you and the precious family.

ewe are here said...

Glad you arrived safely... may it feel like 'home' quickly.

Amber said...

I'm glad the journey went well, and that you're there and you're safe. I'm glad that you're getting this chance to slow down, and I look forward to hearing how your journey progresses. Whenever the technology allows for it, of course. :)

kate w said...

Congratulations! It sounds so wonderful (especially the heat).

hypoglycemiagirl said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you. You'll get used to the bugs I'm sure.

monkey said...

i've got guns-n-roses running through my head right now and i think the idea that axl rose CLEARLY does not sing the soundtrack of your jungle explains perfectly the difference between my imaginings of your journey and the reality.
the reality is probably not a crazy long haired legging clad guy weaving back and forth.
xoxo...
i will crack a beer in your honor later...toasting to your courage.

(In)Sanity Gal said...

Congratulations on your arrival. Good luck in this unfolding adventure. I can't wait to read about it.

Christine said...

i close my eyes and imagine this place. you, in this place.

i am so excited that this adventure is starting for you.

pictures?

Z said...

Time, for once, is on your side and you can take it for yourselves.

The trouble with internet cafes is that the connection is so slow, and it is hard to think yourself into blogging. Looking forward to hearing from you again when you're able to post though.

Kellan said...

So glad to hear you arrive safely and are getting settled in. It sounds so exciting - your new adventure! Have a great weekend and enjoy!

Kellan

Anjali said...

It sounds like a special kind of heaven. I'm so glad it found you.

mamatulip said...

Wow, Jen.

Wow.

deezee said...

So exciting to hear from you!

Question: if you didn't think of it as forever, would you feel differently?

Maybe you can think of it as a vacation... a long vacation, and see where it all leads?

Oh, The Joys said...

AAAAAAhhhhhh!!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!

K and I are sitting here in the study after dinner (there WAS some ginger in it) and we are cheering you on.

slouching mom said...

I'm so glad you made it.

And I can't wait to hear about how wonderful it's going to be.

Because it is.

Magpie said...

So glad to hear that you're there, safe and sound. Be well.

Binky said...

Since it's surreal for me to read this, I can't imagine how other-worldly it must be for you to be experiencing it. Is it like a new life? Or is it the same, only different?

(Deep questions from the bottom of a wine bottle)

Blog Antagonist said...

I'm so glad you're finally in the life you've dreamed of for so long. Live it happy, friend.

alejna said...

Oh, oh, oh! I was so very excited to see a post from you. I'm so glad you are there, safe and sound, and finding a way to keep us all posted. It all sounds wonfderfully alive.

painted maypole said...

it is so exciting! Thanks, again, for bringing us along.

Island Travel Girl said...

Welcome home. Don't forget in the midst of the adjustment, that you ARE living the dream. Days spent watching your daughter grow and learn. Nights passing in a whir of crickets and geckos and frogs chirping away. You can see the stars and feel the sun. Embrace this life, enjoy this adventure - it is yours, you lucky girl.
Hugs for all.

flutter said...

next time you are on the computer, drop me an email with your new address. :) I have international packages to send!

joker the lurcher said...

jen - so glad it has finally fallen into place and you are able to breathe. you speak for all of us when you say you have needed to slow down for a long time. many hugs and good wishes from the uk.

Hetha said...

I want your address too!
heather@mediabrite.com

Krysten said...

amazing, amazing, amazing.

Stefania/CityMama said...

Welcome home.

And, yes, email me your address.

Amanda said...

Shhh, I kept a piece of you in my heart, your eyes welling up with the beauty of friendship, babies and this incredible circle of life.

Love.

barefoot gardener said...

Oh. My. Exciting and wonderful and scary all at once.

Wow.

Bethany/Her Grace said...

I almost feel like I'm there. Welcome to the jungle, Jen, to your new, amazing life. Can't wait to see it unfold.

carrie said...

You are there, and you are safe and I am so happy to hear that.

I know that sound, the "alive" sound. And I know you'll get used to it but for now, just "be." You deserve it lady!

Many, many hugs from Washington.

bgirl said...

goosebumps, i have goosebumps. smiling as if i'm reading a novel...animals all around, unexpected food items...sigh. am i crazy? it seems so dreamy and not in a fluffy way, in that way that says, wake up and live. really live. be present. feel. see. listen. be.

you inspire...across so many miles.
b

meno said...

wow. Finally you are where you have been aiming for so long. I await further reports with impatience.

Peace.

Ally said...

I got all teary reading this... for some reason I miss you, even though I've never really seen you in person. I just felt the distance for the first time realizing I won't be hearing from you on a daily or weekly basis. But I know that is right. Thanks for feeding us with these little details about your new life as it unfolds. xoxo

whymommy said...

Hoo-ray, and welcome home.

Mad said...

It's just so great to hear from you and to know that all it well.

Seattle Mamacita said...

amazing jen. Que divertido! Que Aventura especial. You inspire.

QT said...

Late to this party...damn girl,DAMN! It's here~xo

Tabba said...

WoooooooHooooooooo! Tear it up, girl. We you know the three of you will. You'll tear it up as in you'll do it. You'll get used to it. And you'll wonder what in the hell you were so freaked out about.

Amy Y said...

Glad you made it.... and that you finally have a chance to slow down a bit. Enjoy it!

a li'l bit squishy said...

A welcome home toast to you and J and M!! Congratulations and enjoy your new home.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

This is all amazing. I'm so glad you're including us in your journey.

You deserve equal parts peace and excitement.

xo

Defiantmuse said...

(long exhale)
you. are. there.

Don Mills Diva said...

And I am here - hanging off your every word...:-)

jaded said...

I understand Exactly how you feel. People from Georgia are really strange.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

and you can give yourself the time you need. Congrads on arriving safely.

PunditMom said...

What an amazing adventure. You are so brave and I admire you so much.