Sunday, February 08, 2009

wheels on the bus plus two

One of the cool things about being in a different part of the country/in limbo/unemployed is getting to see people you'd probably never get to see otherwise.  Yesterday was one of those days.  Emily and two of her three kids made the really generous offer to drive a very long way to come over and spend the morning hanging out with M and me.  After making up a vague excuse of how I knew her (online network!) my parents were kind enough to leave us alone, making me feel only slightly older than 15 years old.  Before they arrived my parents were a bit concerned you met her online? you have never met her in person? she's coming to our house? But within moments Emily had my dad eating out of her hand and even moving her car for her.  I think that's just how she rolls, people like her immediately.

Over the din of children we were able to look each other in the face (she's quite lovely) talk about each other's lives and spend time just being together in a way that was so completely effortless that within 3 minutes I'd forgotten altogether that we'd met online in the first place.  I really, really enjoyed our entirely too short visit and it was also really special to watch our kids get to know each other.  Her son is wise and adorable and her daughter is precious beyond belief. M took to them both immediately and had the great honor of holding the baby for awhile.  Emily also did me the great favor of explaining to M how babies are born (hey, she asked) as well as solving some other life mysteries, like how breast feeding really works. Needless to say M was enthralled and she's been asking me for a baby sister ever since.  

Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

Omaha Mama said...

A baby in the jungle sounds perfect. No?

I'm glad you had a nice visit. If I didn't live all the way out here, I'd come help you pass the time too! :0)

How are the guys doing on their road trip???

alejna said...

Oh, wow. I'm so jealous. I'm also so glad that you two got to meet each other. It sounds like a grand time.

wheelsonthebus said...

it was wonderful! and your daughter is charming.

Magpie said...

I'm kind of insanely jealous.

Indigo Virgo said...

that last bit made me laugh.

My mother-in-law confessed (after the fact) that when Nina stayed at our house she was tempted to take the kids to hers to ensure their safety. I laughed then, too.

Glad you are having fun.

Z said...

My family thought it was peculiar when I first started to meet blogfriends, but they're fine with it now as they have all been so lovely. You know each other so well that, by the time you meet in person, you can miss out the initial politenesses and get on with your friendship.

Ally said...

Wow. Emily and Jen, two of my favorite on-line friends. I'm so jealous.

Kyla said...

That's how it always goes with blog friends. Interesting how that happens.

painted maypole said...

i can only imagine that emily would explain it all simply and honestly!

flutter said...

Oh I love this! love it!

Janet said...

Hmmm. A little rumble in the jungle and you could deliver on that request, non? ;)

mommyknows said...

My real life crowd finds it odd when I meet or talk about online friends.

It sounds like you had a nice visit.

I spent several months living in the Honduran jungle working with Camposinos. It was great, but I can't imagine giving birth in the hammock or on the dirt floor.

QT said...

That is so cool. I've gotten to the point where I have zero apprehension if I am meeting someone whose blog I've read for a long while.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

I've used the "online networking" excuse too...and then sometimes I add...a proffesional network when I know that they're a scientist! How to explain to those who avoid the web?

Wayfarer Scientista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.