Monday, August 28, 2006

a wispy lisp

My barely enunciating nearly two year old yummy breakfast treat has a lisp. I've noticed it. J-dog has noticed it. Madam DayCare has noticed it. 2 of the 3 weren't tripping on it - hell, I am glad she's uttering words - whether or not they come out correctly hasn't yet made it on my radar.

Madam DayCare, however, made a point today of saying that if the lisp is still lurking around at age 3 that we should get her evaluated by a special education professional. And look into therapy. And etcetera. And so forth.

Isn't this a bit early to start freaking out? I mean, really, people. She's not yet two.

But of course, once the words are spoken by the child development professional it sounds serious and important. Something that must be looked into. Research needs to be involved. Something we must apprise the 3x yearly pediatrician we see through our HMO, the one whom has never heard M speak and can't possibly diagnose anything in the 7-9 minutes allocated per visit.

The gun has been jumped (what the hell does that mean anyways?). It's hard not to dwell on "all that might go wrong with my kid" so instead I remind myself I Am Doing The Best I Can and Reacting Likewise, and that My Child Is Miraculous, Lisp And All.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I'm lurking on your older posts that I have yet to read. This one is most interesting to me for many reasons:
-Gracie has a lisp
-Connor still has a lisp (he's technically 'tongue tied' - his frenulum comes up to the tip of his tongue
-I don't know how far back you've read on my blog, but last year at the age of 3 - Connor became part of the Special Ed. umbrella.....sensory issues, behavioral issues.
I could write all day about 'jumping the gun', over-reacting, etc.....The thing is to be vigilant. You see this now. You are aware. Wait and see. I don't know about your state, but here in our little state, at the age of 3, children are the responsibility of the school district. So, the help I sought for Connor was part of the school system. I, in no way, had to deal with a Ped. or other doctor. The speech program is the same. Start doing preliminary research as far as those issues are concerned. then go from there. If you'd like to talk more about this, let me know and I'll give you my email address.