Thursday, November 23, 2006

gobble

I am not sure why we require a holiday to remember to be thankful - and yet I know I can be as guilty of it as the next person - getting caught up in the daily grind, forgetting my everyday abundance of good fortune, and then feeling generally ashamed that I require a prompt to acknowledge the obvious. So instead of waxing on about my everyday richness, good health, a loving family, and so forth, I'd rather bring you this:

To the bevy of women (and occasional man) that I didn't know existed a year ago: You tremendously supportive, articulate, hilarious and powerful writers, you are what I am thankful for today.

I feel genuine love for so many of you. I eagerly clickity clack on over to you each day, excited to see what you've come up with, ways to learn from your wisdom, sending solace when you are aching, or laughing at your wit. I have become involved in your lives, and I find that what you do and say matters a great deal.

So, as I slyly tilt my head towards the right side of my screen and coyly, under half lidded eyes gaze in your direction I become increasingly wide eyed and captivated - you, and then more of you, is what I am thankful for today.

Thank you for shining light into dark corners, for your keen wit, your depth of beauty, and for your willingness to meet me in the middle.

It's come to matter more than you know. So I bring flowers in gratitude, all the way from a little spot in Cambodia, just for you.

17 comments:

Penny said...

What a sweet post and beautifully written tribute to the friendships made in the blogosphere. Thank-you for posting this.

You know, TDOW laughs when I talk about my friends online. Commenting in the past about how 'they're not real'. I explained how real you all are to me and he doesn't say such things anymore.

I very much enjoy your perspective and your comments and your support and your thoughts.

I treasure my friendships here and I am very happy to have made you as a friend, you are another blessing in my life. Everything you wrote.. right back atcha!! ;)

Anonymous said...

The very best to you, Jen, I enjoyed your beautifully-expressed sentiments. And I love the picture.

mrs. incredible said...

what a nice post, Jen! It's like you were inside my brain today.

Momish said...

Jen, I feel exactly the same way about you and the other fellow bloggers I have become attached to over the past few months. Of course, I am so glad you posted this because your beautiful way with words says it all so perfectly. I am thankful to have you to so elequently voice my thoughts and feeling! I gobble up your words every day and they have enriched my life!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated! I honestly believe we can and will create an electronic community of sorts. When considered, where else would we have access to the experiences, wisdom, humor and knowledge of millions of people all over the world?

It's an amazing thing ~ and I thank you for being willing to share yours.

(The flowers from Cambodia are beautiful!)

Peace,

~Chani

PunditMom said...

I'm sorry I hadn't seen your earlier posts from this week until this afternoon, but I hope everything is going on better there.

I've enjoyed getting to know you through your blog and are happy to see you stop by mine! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you.
We had ours last month, and now I want yours. Mmm... turkey.

acumamakiki said...

I'm happy you stumbled to my blog one day and that I've now got your words to click over to each day.

carrie said...

Aaaaaaw! That was beautiful, and I agree, we should be thankful each day, not just one, because we are very lucky to have what we do!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Carrie

flutter said...

We love you too, Jen. Thank you for you.

Anonymous said...

It really is amazing, the people we 'meet' blogging about our lives and what's important to us. And a wonderful source of support and understanding for those of us going through similar things...

Hope your daughter's feeling better. Have a nice long weekend with your family.

KC said...

Ah, exactly.

I've been thinking about this too. I never imagined that blogging (reading/writing) could add so much richness to my life. But it has.

I'm amazed. And so very grateful.

Jo said...

You have expressed beautifully what I have been feeling since I discovered this world of blogs. Writing is such an amazing way to gain perspective on life, but I never imagined how writing and BEING HEARD would impact my life. Knowing that people out there are listening to me, relating to me and supporting me is such gift. And, having the opportunity to listen, relate and support others out there wanting to be heard is such an honour. Thanks for writing about this, Jen.

Mrs. Chicky said...

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

A hearty thank you back.

Glad to hear M is doing a bit better but, oh my, so much to deal with still. I'll be thinking of her and of you.

Deb said...

Ditto to what they said...

simply perfect

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that I finally realized I have to resubscribe to your site's feed on my Bloglines in order to get the same benefits you describe receiving from everyone else!