running for the shelter of her non-mother's little helpers

My 800' house is slowing sinking into it's foundation. My parents left 3 days ago, incidentally the SAME DAY as J's mother flew in to town for 8 days. That's almost three weeks of in-laws. And J's mom is nuts (Go on, I'll wait. It's worth the click).

I am not complaining, I love M's time with her grandparents and since none of them live nearby it's a rare occurrence. But I am often left perplexed. Like how it's cute and fun to take M out for junk food even when we have made it clear that is something we do not want them to do. Or how Nana taught M to yell I am a famous movie star whenever she walks into the room. Or when I walk into the room and catch M trying to hide cookie contraband while they both laugh in conspiracy as M yells "Mama, NO. Back. Kitchen. GO!" The kitchen part was an especially nice touch, kid. At least you know my place.

So my overly indulged and sugar dosed child is feeling mighty full of herself lately. All her whims are responded to and captured on film. Every desire of her wee heart is met with eager anticipation. The universe has aligned itself to revolve around her single glowing star. Back talking? No problem, it must mean she's a genius. Time outs? Unheard of, no way, uh uh.

You people are setting me way back. Way back. At least we've taken liberal advantage of the free babysitting and have seen 4 movies plus spent a night in a hotel.

I had the chance to spend a moment or two alone with my child tonight and while she kicked and said "Nana do, Nana do" as I tried to change her diaper, I seized the moment and leaned down and said dude, you are SO screwed on Friday. The world according to M comes to a screeching halt when Nana gets on that plane. Then it's back to mommy and daddy. And we're on to you, buddy.

To which she jumped up, cackled, and ran back into the overzealous and boundary-less arms of her Nana, and as she wrapped her arms around her neck, she coyly looked over at me and said mefamuusmoveestarrrrrr!!

Game on, kid.

Don't forget to nominate someone for a Just Post Award. All the cool kids are doing it.