Monday, March 05, 2007

better late than never

Here are a few pictures in random order, ones I would have posted while on the road if had been possible.You'll note that my technical abilities are on the sorry side, so it's not laid out as well as I'd have liked. The one above is probably my favorite shot from the whole trip. The purple off to the side melts me every time I look at it.
Everyone carries things on their heads. Food, wood, clothing. All of it. It's an art, and it's amazing.



This is the cafe of a guesthouse we stayed at for a few days. All of the cafes are open air, but this one was on an orchid farm, and much consideration went into it's ambience. It was quite lovely there. I think I liked staying here best of anyplace we visited. It was a really beautiful spot high atop a mountain.


J took the picture while I was out swimming with the Canadians and the children. We came in just as the sun was setting while the men sat on the beach and watched the sun dip behind the jungle.














This was the entrance to a guesthouse we stayed in for a night. Each of the rooms are named after an El Salvadorian poet or author. The rooms were incredibly tiny - ours held a double bed and barely enough room to walk around one side of it. We sat in those chairs drank beer and played chess one afternoon.














Below is the Parque Central in Suchitoto, but most towns are organized the same way with the church being the center of town and everything fashioned around it. This was a particularly lovely spot, and for an extra bonus we got to hear Sunday mass (from outside, while drinking coffee).













Thank you for asking to see pictures. El Salvador is many things, and has had a long and difficult road, and it was terrific to spend some time inside it's borders.

And as a reminder, it's time for our third Just Post Roundtable. If you have a post of yours or one you've appreciated that was written by someone else, please send them my way (to girlplustwo (at) yahoo(dot) com) by March 8th.

We'll link all posts and anyone who refers one (or more) in our Just Post Roundtable on the 10th. If this is new to you, please feel free to check it out here.

35 comments:

NotSoSage said...

Oh, I agree with you, that first shot is fantastic.

What's that? Oh, it's you again, travel bug! Go away! I've got no money and no free time! Please, please, please I'll let you have a taste soon, I promise.

(Thanks)

slouching mom said...

Gorgeous, the first one especially!

I agree with notsosage. I've got wanderlust.

Mad Hatter said...

Lovely. Just plain lovely.

metro mama said...

Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Thailand Gal said...

Beautiful pictures.. The guest house is great. The sunset is stunning!

Wanderlust must come with the budding spring. This morning, I woke up thinking of... Thailand.. again. LOL


Peace,

~Chani

Kyla said...

Josh and I went to El Salvador when we were high school seniors. It was really an experience. Your photos are beautiful!

The Imperfect Christian said...

mHey girl! You are the CHBM MOTW for next week! Email me at crazyhipblogmamasMOTW@gmail.com with your email address so I can zap you the questions (I can't find an email link on your site!)

Thanks!

Sober Briquette said...

Absolutely better late than never! Through blogging I've discovered that I'm much more of a visual person than I'd have ever guessed.

Hel said...

Sigh, beautiful

Julie Pippert said...

Oh wow it's just so gorgeous! Lovely shots!

Yes, makes me want to go back and see all I missed in Costa Rica...and everywhere else I still haven't been yet despite devoting a large number of years to travel. It's a big world!

mamatulip said...

WOW.

I'm not a travelin' kind of girl, but these pics make me want to travel.

Hel said...

Such beautiful pictures. What a wonderful adventure it must have been.

Thank you for allowing me to experience a bit of it through your eyes and words.

I still return to one of your previous posts to re-read the moment in the waves.

Z said...

Thank you. Lovely.

acumamakiki said...

i was hoping to see photos. i would have loved that orchid cafe.

The Atavist said...

Beautiful. Great shots, scenes very similar to what you might find in Panama. Makes me want to climb on a plane. Thank you!

J Fife said...

I'm refreshed just from these images. I hunger to step out of my world for a while.

Tabba said...

All of the pictures were lovely. But I agree that the first one....with that brilliant purple is just gorgeous.
Thanks so much for sharing.

kgirl said...

absolutely beautiful.
makes me long for a getaway.

Oh, The Joys said...

I wish I could have been there. (I wish I was there RIGHT NOW.)

flutter said...

Oh so immensely gorgeous. It's so easy to see your heart, in every one.

ewe are here said...

Thanks for sharing some of your pictures! And I agree; the first one really does grab you.

ECR said...

I was especially glad to see the photo of where you swam with the Canadians. I love that story.

Lucia said...

Those are GREAT photos! Thoroughly enjoyed them. Who was your room named after?

On my way home from Guate...

Denguy said...

Uh, Jen, I am available for layout assistance. Just come knocking.

Beck said...

What gorgeous photos! I've never felt any urge to travel, but I LOVE seeing and hearing about other people's travel experiences.

KC said...

Beautiful. Soft. I can so see you there behind the camera lens.

crazymumma said...

sigh....

are those purple petals? they are so astounding and brilliant. what a colour!

My favorite shot is the swimming in the dusk, because I can just smell it feel it.

Laurie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The first one is my favorite as well.

Thank you so much for posting them.

Emily said...

these photos are beautiful

carrie said...

WOW!

You are so lucky!

Carrie

Susanne said...

Thank you very much for the pictures. Gorgeous. And like De said all these blogs and pictures make me realize that the visual matters much more to me than I thought.

(And I hope to have my Just Post post up tomorrow and I'll send you two nominees.)

Anjali said...

These pictures are beautiful. Thanks for posting them for those of us who may be taking the long way to El Salvador.

debbie said...

wow. and thank you.

Her Bad Mother said...

oh, gasp.

Carolie said...

Oh...the purple gives me a pang! How lovely!