cubism

I finagled some high powered pro bono legal counsel last year. God knows I teeter on the brink of lawsuits and there are other rather legal things we need advice on from time to time. So we were fortunate enough to have a firm offer their time, and I was fortunate enough to have the rather hot managing partner be the guy I get to work with. It's a Pro Bono Twofer.

These lawyers crack me up. They are so sure of themselves, so cunning, so smart. These cats have fat offices with parking spaces with their names on them and hot receptionists. Marble. I don't go there very often, but I spent a few hours there earlier this week hashing out some capacity and expansion issues, sitting in a fine leather chair in a spotless conference room. Someone brought me coffee. I'm eyeing the fancy pens. I could probably steal one. (And unlike Kurt's place, I'd feel fine about it).

I had to use the bathroom so I wove an interesting maze past the corner offices, my friend's (we've shared a few beers over the last year so I feel confident in calling him that) included. I'm a nosy girl, so I even peeked in past the silver name plate and noticed a bottle of scotch on the desk. People lose their bed over a bottle of scotch my way. I wanted to pour a glass but figured that was a bit too forward. Farther towards the back were the cubicles.

And those poor cube dudes have a view of the gilded offices, every day. I wondered if it was motivation or frustration. I watched them huddled over their desks and grimaced.

When I came back from the bathroom I said so how do the cube people get an office like yours? They probably won't, he said (he's arrogant, this friend of mine) So I said I see how it is, you smug bastard; you sit in your corner office making partner money and these poor cats do all the work. He paused, then smirked. I knew I was right. I'm a Cubist, he said. Obviously, I said. If that's true, then what about a Cubist Movement? You should think about it. Power to the people. I doubt he'll take me seriously, but he should. In fact, I should bill him for it.

It's hard to explain how much I love visiting the rich man's world sometimes. It's all so quietly deceptive and ridiculously on schedule.