the other chromosome

I've never spent much time around little boys; the few friends outside of school that M has are girls. But this weekend I spent some time with The Mayor when I visited Jess and if I am honest, I left with a bit of a crush on him and of course the House of Joy in general. I was amazed at how truly effortless it felt to spend time in a home of a fellow blogger for the first time. K cooks fabulously. And Rooster Girl is delicious. But The Mayor stole my heart. Thanks Jess, for so warmly welcoming me into your home and giving me a slice of Joy.

And then last night we were sitting outside when a neighbor of ours stopped by, a mom with two kids, the boy a year older than M. We don't spend much time together but like each other a lot, so we hung out for an hour or so as the day winded down watching M and A chase each other around. A is a quiet kid, very polite and shy, in fact in all the times I've seen him he's barely uttered two sentences so yesterday was terrific, watching them have fun. But the best part was when they were leaving; all the requisite goodbyes and then as A got on his bike he turned back and yelled See ya, fuckers! Mom was mortified, J and I were quietly hysterical.

It was so ironic, and so perfect. And of course, so true. We couldn't stop laughing about it for at least an hour. It's very good to be home.

Little boys. I had no idea how delicious they are.