here's to all the lonely people

In the course of the project I am working on I've had the opportunity to visit homeless projects in several different parts of the US. The thing that has struck me every single trip was the vastness of the crisis. So many people are homeless. Men, women, children. So many people.

And so many providers are doing their best to alleviate suffering, to bring people in from the streets, offer them hope and other tangibles. But in every city I've been in, it's the same.

There is never enough money. There is never enough political will. Communities struggle to welcome these projects in their neighborhoods. And there are never enough resources.

I always make a point of talking to the people receiving the services; I want to hear what works and what doesn't from their perspective. One man wanted to make sure I knew they were putting illegal vitamins (would that still mean they are vitamins?) in the food. Another thought this was the best of the ten or so shelters he's lived in so far. And most want to you know that they are doing their best and they are grateful for the help they receive. And you know what else? Kids look like kids whether they are homeless or not. It's amazing how that works.

The place I visited last week was tough. It was in a very difficult facility with very spartan amenities. Lots of rules. Jail cell conditions. And yet the people running it were terrific. They had passion, wisdom, expertise. And they were between a rock and a hard place with the community, law enforcement, and funding. So they did the best they could. But if I had to live there, I'd hate every minute of it. Every single one.

Maybe that's good. I've often had critics tell me folks shouldn't get too comfortable or they'll never want to leave. And I always wonder how to answer that question. Do I say you're right. We really should treat them like shit so they hurry up and leave. We're doing them a colossal favor anyways. Or do I say I'd hope to have a safe, clean place to stay with my child should I ever need it.

Because sometimes we all need a little help. And until this society gets it's head out of it's ass about the need for affordable housing, we'll keep creating unsustainable and undesirable projects to fill the housing gap. And we'll have to keep them underfunded. And sometimes we'll have to close down because we run out of money. And we'll strip away civil rights in order to keep our parks clean and our street corners empty. And we'll keep putting people in jail. Note to they: jails cost a hell of a lot more than affordable housing. I'm just saying.

Because that's what happens when you treat the symptom rather than the cause. It's nothing but a bunch of holes in a creaking dam. And the water's rising, swirling deeper around legs clothed in worn denim and wet socks.

The Original Perfect Post Awards – April 2007

And on an entirely different note, go read Redneck Mommy's post titled looking for a hand out. Red (must I abbreviate everyone's name?) writes poignantly about how the charity collides with the cause in an incredibly beautiful (and yes, painful) way. I can't begin to fathom what it means to lose a child. Red, you are one of the bravest women I know. You can check out all the perfect posts here and here.