Thursday, April 03, 2008

maybe his name was duncan

Sometimes I'm a total weirdo. Like tonight when I was drifting up and down the grocery store aisles (no one was going into labor you suckas) and I notice this dude wearing standard youngish-white-dude-at-a-desk-job-attire, khaki pants and a blue shirt. He went and put that icky pimento bologna fake meat crap with green pieces in his basket. I mean, who buys that shit? Who is this guy? So as I'm pondering that we cross paths again on another aisle. Now he's buying the most cardboardish health food cereal possible. So cardboard it doesn't even come in a box, it's in some sort of free range bag or something. He's an enigma! He looks European. Is he from Sweden? See, I'm weird.

Speaking of Sweden, er, I mean Holland, I just finished reading Infidel. Have you read it? Ayaan Hirsi Ali is an extraordinary woman with an amazing story. It's worth the read. In fact, if you want me to send it to you let me know in the comments and I'll send it to the first taker (and as soon as I can get my ass to the post).

Speaking of amazing, have you met Defiant Muse? She's this hipster chick living up in the woods who's travelled all over and has this lovely defiant (hence the name) soul. I really dig her. I think you would too.

Speaking of dig, it's Just Post time again. All you have to do to participate is to send me posts about social issues, social justice, activism, ponies (kidding on the ponies unless of course it's about freeing ponies from those bastard pony rides and then it definitely counts) from the month of March. It can be yours or someone elses, everyone is welcome and you can send the links to me at girlplustwoATyahooDOTcom. We host the Just Posts on the 10th of each month on four separate blogs in four different countries. We're international, people. And there's no pimentos whatsoever.

28 comments:

cce said...

I love formulating stories about stranger based on what's in the grocery cart...in fact I think there's a short story in that trip to the grocery some where. I'll have to consider that - onions, full-moisture mozzarella, lady fingers, fresh tomatoes, spermicidal jelly and a get well card.

Amanda said...

Umm, I need more. What happened to the guy? Was he barefoot? Did he prove himself a bigger enigma and hop into a Hummer outside? You've left me hanging like a cheap mini-series.

Sigh.

Guess I'll have to keep coming back.

;P

Indygirl said...

Read Infidel. LOVED Infidel. If there are two commenters who want to read it, I'll donate my copy. I love my books. I never get rid of them. But it's THAT good. It needs to be shared.

Beck said...

Maybe his name WAS Duncan.
I'm very judgemental about other people's grocery carts, like a harsh Old Tetsament God, except with food purchases.

Defiantmuse said...

well thank you, thank you, thank you for the lovely words and intro :)

I kinda dig you too, ya know. well. maybe a whole lot more than "kinda".

x
o

Bon said...

not a single pimento? what, you don't care about the pimentos? poor pimentos. ;)

TEOM said...

I was such a sucka yesterday that today, when you started out in the grocery store, I kept looking behind me for the punch line.

Madge said...

that totally sounds like my cousin duncan from sweden. imagine the chances.

Janet said...

I like to make up stories about people, too. Unfortunately, I am the gawker variety of people watcher. So this one time, at a rough kind of bar in a small-ish beach town, I was watching a biker chick and crafting an awesome story in my head when suddenly she was threatening to beat me up. I did NOT like that ending. At all.

Isn't anyone going to say they want the book? I want to read the book. There. I said it.

flutter said...

I love that defiant muse girl, she's kinda sassy

Ashley said...

Aww dang. I totally want the book...but I see Janet said it first. Drats. lOl :)

Kyla said...

My grocery basket has split personalities, too. Josh and I are on totally different ends of the spectrum with regard to food (and politics, too, wonder if there is something to that. LOL).

Omaha Mama said...

I really dig you. In a non-literal, non-creepy kind of way.

I wonder about people at the store constantly. I also wonder what people wonder about me. Do they think I'm healthy? What do my groceries tell them?
So I'm with ya on that. Totally weird.

Aliki2006 said...

I LOVE snooping at people's groceries and trying to hypothesize about the deeper aspects of their characters...

Mad said...

The contents of other people's grocery carts strikes terror into my soul.

crazymumma said...

Hey girl.
And I read way back as well. Lost balloons are for making wishes.

But the sorrow of lost balloon is like nothing else.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

But see...that's the fun of passing strangers, figuring out the story even if it's totally false!

Wayfarer Scientista said...

oh, I forgot to mention...Infidel is on the bestseller list this week - we've got dozens and dozens of copies in the bookstore & I've been sneak peak reading it.

P said...

I'm reading Infidel right now too! Amazing book.

carrie said...

I love grocery shopping alone (although it rarely happens) - and I wonder when I'll stop questioning the mystery bologna every time I look at it.

That.

Is.

Just.

Wrong.

bgirl said...

okay 'facon' (fake bacon) i love. bologna, hot dogs...hmmm. just never understood it. can't even deal with the tofu dogs.

David said...

What is "Mock Chicken" made from?
Is there such an animal as "Mock rice crispy squares? If so can you help me find the "Mock" ingredients?
Great post. Tell me more about the "issue" thing a ma bob. I've got 5 or six burning things in my life that need to be raised in the consciousness of your blogosphere for the simple reason that your readers are on colourful crayons in the box.
Thanks
David

kgirl said...

ohmygod i love you.

Eileen said...

I had to laugh, I always do my people pondering at the grocery store...when will I stop....

I loved, loved, loved Infidel. I ordered it from Amazon a while ago and forgot about it. I discovered it on my shelf, a few weeks ago, and am so glad I did. Amazing stuff.

Hope your weekend is full of good stuff.
XOXO

painted maypole said...

i usually pay no attention to other people's carts. oddly enough, because I seem like the kind of person who would make up stories based on the the contents. Well. YOu can guess what I'll be doing next time i shop. ;)

David said...

You inspired my post today!
Thank you

Swistle said...

I love looking at people's groceries. I always feel a little self-conscious about mine: iceberg lettuce and organic avocados, skim milk and Breyer's ice cream, Doritoes and 100% whole wheat bread.

womaninawindow said...

Green things in bologna! Only made better with a delicious green pickle cupped up lovingly in its girth. Ummmm. New reality show - grocery cart humiliation...Cameras hone in on an unsuspecting shopper. Could be fun.