day 16: i hear the children laughing

I wish you could have seen her. Her first day went so well. When I went back to pick her up (I forgot to mention in my last post that aside from the horses and roosters and dogs and kids I also have to drive through a checkpoint, boys with machine guns but so far smiling and waving seems to work out fine) I walked slowly so I could listen before I was seen. The teachers were winding down, they make the kids stand together with hands folded and they pray to God and Jesus. I watched through the window (no screens or glass) as 25 local kids and my American girl stood together and finished their day. When they were done there were hugs for everyone and M skipped into my arms and asked if she could come back again tomorrow.

We drove home and I gently probed, how were your friends how was your snack did you learn any words in Spanish what do you think of the Jesus stuff do you like the teachers and she was excited and reticient all at once. I've learned this about her a long time ago, she only tells me what she wants to so I have to play along. She has two new best friends and Teacher Miss Joy is her favorite (and she's mine too). We were concerned she'd have trouble understanding folks when they speak, both the spanish and the accents so we practiced how to nicely say can you please say that again but she said she never had to say it, her only complaint is that we had to do a lot of sitting so to me that spells success.

I am off to Guatemala today, a neighbor here has invited me on a shopping trip, I understand there are things they can get a bit cheaper right over the border than they can get here so I'll tag along for the day, crossing a border and back and maybe eating a taco along the way. I've also got a new post up at BlogHer, but I can't seem to link a damn thing so if you want to read it you might have to click on the old BlogHer posts on my sidebar and find your way from there.

PS. I promise, promise, promise the lack of pictures is just as annoying for me as it is for you. I so want to show you around. Also, I really miss you. I haven't read your blogs for weeks. If someone is pregnant or is kicking ass or has rocked the world I so want to know about it so feel free to drop me an email and tell me all about it.

Bookmark and Share