Sunday, March 22, 2009

day 33: the puppy

Things were really, really going just fine. M finally settled down, I've figured out a way to manage daily and even enjoy myself. So when some new friends plied me with drink and then convinced me that the best thing in the world for M is a puppy, how she can grow up along with the puppy, how she needs a puppy to feel like a complete person in the universe...I go ahead and cave in.
Meet Kuhkay (Koo-Kai) which is Mayan for firefly in case that matters at all. I should also point out that I'm probably spelling it wrong but I'm a gringa in a non gringa world so bear with me.

She's nearly four months and is quite possibly the second cutest thing I have ever seen in my life. She's a mini-guard dog in training, barks at everything that comes near our porch until something gets too close then she runs and hides. She sleeps under my bed at night right next to my head. And she wakes up at 5am and she's not house trained so guess who gets up? Me! Love it!

In retrospect it was probably adding one too many things to an already precarious and adjustment filled time but sometimes you've got to go with the flow. And she's a remarkably good puppy, rather calm and listens well enough and hasn't bit M even though the child is terrorizing her every single day in every possible way.

Here's M and a friend in our backyard. Picture iguanas and toucans and parrots in those trees if you can. We had a band of wild peckory pigs come through this week, boy are those suckers loud.
And here's what our house looks like from the back patio. I know, you could never live here right? Am not always sure I can either but for now it's good. Notice how hammocks have multiple uses? And rain does sound nice on a metal roof.
In other news, everyone is sick. M has more bites than a child should ever have to endure, J and I are both down with colds. It's a lot less fun being sick where things are already more challenging, but such is life. The fabulous Maggie sent me a yoga mat, which meant so much (getting packages is fabulous I tell you) and is being put to good use as I stretch my way out of sickness and back into light.


Bookmark and Share


25 comments:

Cathy said...

I actually think I could live there.

I've been reading your story for awhile now and enjoying every minute of it.

Cute puppy.

de said...

It looks beautiful.

Do you know that if you're the dog's get-up person now, you will be FOREVER, right? Just how they are - our dog won't move from her bed until my husband gets up.

meno said...

I could indeed live there. With mosquito netting.

Puppy is to cute for words.

Karen said...

I'm sure I speak for many of your readers....

We feel the love coming out of your beautiful home...

flower power said...

Your home looks wonderful. I envy you.

Karen said...

I think that house looks pretty good--it looks more like a regular house than I expected, but then, I was expecting a jungle hut, hahaha.

Magpie said...

I love seeing these photos - I blew them up and looked for parrots and looked at the light in M.'s eyes.

Feel better soon!

painted maypole said...

what kind of puppy? he's ADORABLE. I'm sure you'll grow to love him, but do NOT tell my husband I said that.

Feel well soon. I hope the parrots and toucans sing you a song of health.

Amber said...

Oh my, that is one adorable puppy.

Sorry to hear that you're all sick. Get better soon!

bgirl said...

looks like plenty of room for out of country guests (wink wink)!

flutter said...

oh my GOD that puppy is hellaciously cute and I could totally live there.

Jessie said...

Ok, this is my first comment here, but I've been reading since before you left.

I have to tell you that so much of your experiences have resonated with me, so I wanted to say thank you for sharing. My husband and I are planning on taking a similar path next summer, and reading your words is a huge encouragement to me. My husband lived in Guatemala for a while and we both have spent extended periods of time in Costa Rica, so when you mention buggy bites, iguanas, and Mayan names... I smile. :)

Your house is adorable, and I'm glad someone sent you a yoga mat, because I was trying to figure out how I could do the same. Is it still possible to send somethings down to the school?

kgirl said...

Looks awesome. Truly. I've lived in a caravan (trailer) in the desert for a year, so I really mean that.

Tabba said...

it's fabulous.

ALL of it.

i could totally rock out there. totally!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Must. Squeeze. The. Puppy.

She's edible. Seriously. And I love your home.

Kyla said...

The puppy fits perfectly.

Feel better, all of you.

Tracey - Just Another Mommy Blog said...

Hey, I could totally live there. I just wouldn't want the dog...

deezee said...

The house looks delightful to me, and it's such a joy to get these photos.

Amy Y said...

The puppy's a cutie! And so is that lovely M.
I think I could live there... It's better than the straw hut I had pictured in my head that you were living in! :)
Thanks for sharing pics!

Ally said...

Hooray for the photos! Your backyard looks like paradise to me... lots of room for M to stretch her legs and be a kid. And your house looks cute, too, not at all a "I could never live there" type of place.

I hope you all feel better soon.

krista said...

hey, jen, have you ever read 'the temple of my familiar' by alice walker?

laura said...

It is so nice to have photos to put with your words. I so admire your journey. And your new pup is adorable. But 5am? Yikes.

crazymumma said...

That is some cute puppy.

yaya house and M and all bugs and colds who cares lets look at the puppy more puppy I am crazydoglady.

i would live there in a heartbeat.

Jessica said...

The puppy is absolutely adorable! And I can totally imagine myself there....now if I can convince the other half of something quite so daring. ;) Until then I'll live vicariously. :)

joker the lurcher said...

your house is very like the one we used to live in only we had a wooden roof. i love the idea of the rain on your tin roof.

and getting puppies is a good idea whenever - we got dave the puppy just before my husband had his kidney transplant and it was just the thing to do - cheered us up no end! i love reading your stuff - thank you.