If only Darfur had oil

I know I recently said I avoid getting political here, but I can't help myself.

60 Minutes did another piece on Darfur last night. If you didn't see it, you can learn all you need to know (or that you already know) at Save Darfur. What I did NOT know (and maybe I am the last) is that the current U.S. administration is soft on the Sudanese government because they pass along information, drips and drabs on our current "war against terror" because at one time the cats there housed the same cats who have waged terror against the U.S. And that quid pro quo is something we are apparently willing to protect.

2.5 million people are displaced. 400,000 people have died. But at least we give them some lentils.

It's so easy to pontificate what should be done from my computer, inside my home with my child sleeping safely and with a full stomach. It's so easy for me to get distracted, to forget that hundreds of thousands of children are dying, are terrified, are hungry and alone. It's so easy to be full of one's self.

It's hard to understand why we are sitting passive during the worst genocide of our lifetime (aside from Pol Pot following Nixon's destabilization of Cambodia). It's so hard to understand how I spend my days doing nothing about this. And it's so hard to understand that there is a part of the world that is engaged in unspeakable horror and we can sit by and let it happen.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those of us, who in great moral crisis, sit and do nothing.

I am going to contribute to Save Darfur. If you are compelled to do the same, let me know, and I'll match it (to a certain amount - on the off chance one of you is a secret heiress). It might not be much, but it's something, and like I said a few days ago, rage is better suited to action than to words.