cut and run

An open letter to the ER Discharge Person:

I'd really like you to explain to me why the hell you think it is OK to cab a non-ambulatory, non-coherent, unable to sit upright unassisted and unable to feed himself old man to a shelter? And to make matters worse, not even to a shelter who can accommodate him, oh no, just the NEAREST shelter, you cheap cab fare paying jerk?

And while you are looking into this, please let me know what steps you took to evaluate the choice of shelter in order to determine the best level of respite care possible...was it the fact that we are NOT open 24/7? The total lack of any medical personnel? Or perhaps it was the whole sleeping on the FLOOR that made us seem perfect for you?

I am sure he won't mind if we just ROLL HIM TO THE CURB in the morning when we close down. I am sure he'll be there when we open again 1o hours later. We'll cover him with a blanket or something. I mean, that's triage, right? No problem, ER Discharge Person.

I mean, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

You messed with the wrong person, ER Discharge Person. Because I know where he came from. And I've got media contacts. And this sort of thing makes a really good story when it's FREEZING outside.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hospitals cut and run all the time. All the time. I (don't but what's the point) get it. Whatever. But this crossed the line. Cutting and running at other facilities is one thing -we still can't manage but at least we don't close in the morning. You know this. How dare you treat someone this way.

PS. We arranged to transport him to another one of our locations but it took hours to arrange the ride (I refuse to cab such a sick individual without proper medical transport, you jackass, because let's see, oh yeah, because he's a HUMAN BEING) and with every phone call I got a bit more pissed. Luckily though, I've gotten to know some bureaucrats this week, and it was time to call in a favor. Now I know some really pissed off at you bureaucrats. I like them more and more.

I'll be seeing you, ER discharge person.