Friday, April 06, 2007

bedlam

M's crib was given to us second or third hand. It served it's purpose for a year or so until last Friday. Last Friday M woke up with about nine bug bites on her back.

Needless to say, we freaked. J dismantled the crib and mattress and we cleaned out her whole room. We couldn't find any bugs, but we think they came from the mattress. We may have overreacted, because now we have no bed and bedtime is in a few hours. I'm just saying.

So we head to IKEA and pick out a big girl bed. It's pretty freaking cute, a faux wrought iron deal, adjustable so right now it's like a little box and later it can be more like a bed. In fact, I was waiting to post this till I could show you a picture. Alas, I still don't know how to download pictures (whatever) and baseball season has started.

Anyways, we get her bed and a new blanket and pillow and J assembles the bed. It's adorable. M is happy. She climbs right in it at bedtime and goes to sleep. In the morning she still calls for me, not yet computing that she can just climb out. Perfect. We are money, friends. This is a secret we are going to keep.

Day two is the same. And then came Day Three. M wakes up and decides me no like my big girl bed. me miss my crib. Repeat this fifty times. Naptime comes around and she decides to use this moment to exercise her getting out of bed free card. Repeat this fifty times combined with the above statement.

J and I both happen to be home and we managed to take all of this in stride, mostly because it was hilarious. But there is that one moment where you think We've ruined everything. Naptimes are over. We've ruined everything. I finally said dude, you are kinda freaking me out. To which M replied you are freaking me out too, mommy. And I realize she's probably right. She finally goes to sleep.

Day four is money. We've been fine ever since. But I'd be lying if I said it didn't break my heart just a little bit, this big girl bed in my baby's room.

Tomorrow is the last day to send us your posts for our fourth Just Post Roundtable. If you have a post of yours or one you've appreciated that was written by someone else, please send them my way (to girlplustwo (at) yahoo(dot) com) and I'll send you the button.

We'll link all posts and anyone who refers one (or more) in our Just Post Roundtable on the 10th. If this is new to you, please feel free to check it out here. All Just Posts will also be featured in The Whole Mom webzine every month.

29 comments:

Thailand Gal said...

I finally said dude, you are kinda freaking me out. To which M replied you are freaking me out too, mommy.


ROTFL!!!

Pgoodness said...

LOL. So hard to watch them get older isn't it? P has a big boy bed but he still doesn't sleep well and ends up in my bed every night. Some days I wonder why he has his own room at all..

kiki said...

I love that you both said Dude to each other, so cute. (=

A stayed in her crib until she was three and was perfectly happy there, even though her legs were sticking thru the slats. And she still calls for us at six, doesn't want to get out of bed on her own, fine by me.

urban-urchin said...

I used bribery when this happened with us (if you can sleep in your big girl bed for a whole week in a row we'll do insert fun activity here.) It totally worked. Just a thought.

Blog Antagonist said...

Ahhhh, yes. The big bed is such a momentous step into kiddom. We bought a bed that has wooden rails (Cargo brand) and so, for quite a while, both my boys didn't actually realize they could climb out. It was just like a bigger crib to them. Genius.

Kyla said...

Awww!! *lol* I love the dude dialogue, very funny. Sounds like something my BubTar would say.

metro mama said...

Cakes is getting awfully tall for her crib. I am dreading the transition to big girl bed.

Z said...

My son and d-i-l moved their little girl when she was just over a year, so that she wouldn't associate a new baby with being turned out of her cot. She much preferred it. It seemed that she didn't like the imprisoned feeling of a cot.

By the way, when you're writing a post, there should be a little picture of a picture, between the title line and the box where you put text. Click on that and you can add photos.

But then, baseball. Nah, you're right. Prioritise.

theflyingmum said...

When Ben still slept in his crib I used to gaze longignly in there, wishing I could crawl in with him. With the big-boy bed, I can - and DO! LOVE snuggling with that cozy, warm kid.
But the bug bites - ahhhhhh! Makes me think of an article my friend sent me about a possible bed-bug infestation in NY. They're recommending people no longer "curb shop" on garbage day.

Redneck Mommy said...

How I wish I could stuff my ten and nine year old back into a crib.

Maybe if they slept behind bars, they'd stay in their own damn beds, instead of getting up in the middle of the night, raiding the cookie jar and making forts.

I'm talking about crib bars, people, not prison bars.

Sheesh.

QT said...

Oh how I wish we could see pics of the big girl bed! I can just hear M's voice - me no like big girl bed.

My nephew did the same thing - not realizing he could get out on his own for a few days. After that, it took about 2 months to get him to stay in there so count yourself lucky!

meno said...

I used to (BAD MOMMY ALERT!) bungee cord Em's bedroom door after she got her big girl bed so she could open the door a little, but could not get out.

They do grow up. Mine has boobs and braces and bleeding.

NotSoSage said...

Ah, yes, it takes a while, but they finally figure out that the confines of the crib are not so for the bed.

And Mme L's been saying, "Right on, DUDE!", to Joe, only. I love it.

mamatulip said...

We just took Oliver out of his crib last weekend and put him in a toddler bed.

It's been hard, on many levels, but what has smacked me across the face is that he is GROWING UP. Too fast.

ECR said...

I don't know where these big girls are coming from. Last I looked, there were a bunch of babies rolling around.

On gray days, this makes me very sad. On sunny days, it's a treat to watch them grow.

Mrs. Chicky said...

I'm afraid of the day when we have to get a big girl bed for Chicky. But if it goes as well as your experience did we'll be so money. ;)

Beck said...

The Baby has already started having her naps on the futon in the office, getting her ready for the big transition to Big Girl Bed on her second birthday.
We often have spiders in our house - oh, THANK YOU, nature - and my kids often wake up with big welty spider bites. All we can do is shrug and wash their bedding. Poor kids.

slouching mom said...

meno, boobs and braces and bleeding? you make girlhood sound so fun.

umm, it's a little late now, but as beck suggested, couldn't they have been spider bites?

flutter said...

Have I mentioned that I hope I have a daughter just like yours, one day?

Oh, The Joys said...

The Mayor, just before he was two, just stopped being willing to sleep in a crib. Period. He just insisted that he sleep in a "big kid" bed and that was it. (It was so sad.) (It took him AGES to figure out he could get out himself though. Heh.)

Mad Hatter said...

We moved to the big girl bed at Christmas. It was the best parenting decision we ever made.

Her Bad Mother said...

Oh, gah gah gah BUGS?!?! Dude.

I needed this laugh. SO BAD.

The Atavist said...

'Bedlam.' I love word play.

Great post.

liv said...

I love those "dude" moments. It was like yesterday when Davis said, "Ummm...Mommy, what the HECK are you think you're doing?!"

KC said...

We are dreading that transition, Jen. Truly dreading. Joles can't stay in her seat to eat longer than a minute before going on some adventure involving the cat or shoes. We'll be doing crib until she's 10.

But tricycle..now big girl bed? Dude.

crazymumma said...

we have a couple of neglected big girl beds in our house. We all seem to get together about 3am. M is welcome any old time....

Nancy said...

Rosie is a month younger than M, I believe. We're keeping her in the crib as long as is earthly possible, because I just KNOW she will be walking all over the house once she's in a big girl bed.

My older girl, bless her heart, will NOT leave her bed without permission. At age 5 even. :-)

Momish said...

I don't know why, but for some reason I am really looking forward to to big kid bed phase. Considering I have been hanging on to every other phase with talons of steel screaming, "NO. REFUSE TO LET GO!", this is odd indeed. Yet, I am truely eager for this one.

Yeah for M!

ewe are here said...

We'll be getting MF a junior bed from Ikea for his second birthday next month... I have my eye on the one with the two animals carved into the headboard.

We don't think we'll get so lucky though and suspect he'll instantly realize he can get out of it. So we're going to baby gate his door.
heh heh