tube-ula rasa

I caught the CNN YouTube democratic debate last night and was quite taken with it, less because of the candidates and more because of the questions coming from the common person about issues that matter to all of us. It was simultaneously annoying, amusing, irritating and captivating to watch the candidates answer these refreshing questions, their spin and passion and rancor all at once.

Gravel is a riot. He's that filabuster guy from the 70's and who doesn't love a guy who went head on with Nixon. He'll never get elected but if he did I suspect we'd find him to be a most refreshingly honest leader. He's a croaky old coot and I'd love to drink a beer with him.

Edwards is likeable enough, intelligent, compassionate, passionate about health care and the environment (but who isn't acting passionate about health care and the environment). In fact there was a brilliant moment when the ever-delicious Anderson Cooper stopped the collective posturing about global warming and asked them to raise their hands if they traveled by private jet to get to the debate and I think Gravel was the only one who didn't. That was money, Anderson. I'd drink a beer with you, too.

Obama, as likeable as he may be seemed long on spin and frustratingly short on substance. I mean yes it's a debate and time is short, but he could've done better. He's already all soundbite and we've got 17 months to go. I'm just saying.

Biden's kinda hot in an old guy sort of way. He's a bit too harsh and it's bitten him in the ass before and will bite him in the ass again. But he'd look good in office.

Richardson seems a bit too conservative for my vote, a nice public servant but you know, soft on guns. Can't have that. Plus he waffled on the private jet show of hands. Lame, dude. Lame.

Hilary's got game and you know, her husband is a personal friend of mine and all. But she's got a bit too much wall street money for my liking. That goes for Obama too. And Edwards while I am at it. Am not sure what to do about it, but I don't like it much.

I am leaving Dodd out because I can't remember enough about him to actually have an opinion. Sorry Senator, but you know, it was late and I'm tired and I'm just not that into you.

In the end my heart belongs to Kucinich. He's the real deal, this guy. He'd green our planet and bring peace to the world faster than anyone else. But he'll never get into office, he's too honest and too committed and too right about too many things and that is entirely threatening to the cats pulling the strings. But a girl can dream.

I am seriously toying with making a video at the shelter and submitting it to the Republican debate but I am fairly sure none of those dudes would have a good answer about homelessness and they'd probably edit out my profanity. But I hope people keep asking questions, because it reminds all of us that we are in this together and our collective cynicism has a momentum all it's own.